Educational Technology Concept Map

Educational Technology Concept Map
Using Wordle, I created a concept map regarding educational technology. This project was created for my ETEC 557 class, Summer I, 2010.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Addendum to Post


Recording my educational technology philosophy provided me with time to reflect and solidify my feelings and beliefs. I believe the writing will be a reference point that I can turn to as I am asked to complete projects and assignments. I will be able to ask myself, “Is this project consistent with the beliefs I’ve stated?”. If the answer is “No”, then perhaps I should re-evaluate either the project or my philosophy.


I see blogging as having many applications in education. A blog plays upon the fact that our “digital natives” enjoy sharing their opinions and thoughts with others. These same children enjoy having others interact with the “knowledge” they post. Blogging could be used across the curriculum by both students AND teachers. Having children interact with concepts would cause them to become active instead of passive learners, leading to greater comprehension of the subject matter and deep-rooted retention. Educators have yet to accept blogs as legitimate learning tools for several reasons. As stated in Stephen Downes’ article, criticism includes the belief that a blog is “merely” a set of personal comments and observations. What value would a blog have to a student? A blog would provide an opportunity for students to reflect on his/her learning, something I’ve previously read that we in education need to have students spend more time doing. To some degree, blogs are freedom of expression on a somewhat global scale. More than anything, I believe that is what stops districts and teachers from using blogs as a learning tool. There is too much “freedom” and not enough control.


In Alan November’s article New Culture of Teaching and Learning, I “lol” (and grimaced!) about his comment that we digital immigrants are “paper trained”. Yes we are! I totally understood that statement, and I think it’s standard for most teachers---we are paper trained. For puppies, being paper trained is a step in the right direction. For educators, it just means we’re not able to see the varied options that await through the use of technology.


While the November article had many valid points, I strongly agree with #6---Collegiality is what is needed. A statement I identified with was one regarding training. November said, “If you train teachers in technology, they tend to go back and do what they always did -- they will automate.” He suggested bringing students to training. This is an interesting concept to me, since our district has spent that last two years training teachers to integrate technology in the classroom through the use of Macbooks. In only one workshop did we bring students in to participate. I sat in on this training and found it to be one of the most exciting and illuminating that I attended. Most of the other teachers in attendance were excited by the exuberance of the children and the fact that they “got” the concept.


Nancy Astor (1879-1964), the first woman to sit as a Member of Parliament in the British House of Commons stated, “The main dangers in this life are the people who want to change everything---or nothing.” I think this quote speaks to where we are in regard to technology and its place in the learning process.



No comments:

Post a Comment